The state news agency announced last Tuesday that Saudi Arabia was printing 1.5 million copies of an edict by religious scholars outlawing protests in the kingdom as un-Islamic.
I got my copy yesterday. Eleven reasons were given on why protesting is “Haram” or forbidden in Islam. Here’s a summary:
- The two Holy Mosque are in Saudi Arabia therefore we have to protect them from anything that would cause instability
- Demonstrations (whether peaceful or violent) are incitements to disobey the ruler, which is forbidden according to Imam Nawawi
- Hardship and poverty require patience, they’re easier than lack of security!
- The prophet (pbuh) said “listen & obey” even if the ruler is unjust because he knows better
- The deviant ‘West’ does not want Sharia in Muslim countries and their influence on our neighbors (meaning Tunisia & Egypt) is the reason why their protesters did not ask to implement Sharia
- Protests ignite sectarianism & tribalism
- Instability in Saudi Arabia is instability to ALL Muslims following the Sunnah
- Security personnel would be obligated to intervene if different factions in society clash, which would mean Muslims fighting each other
- Protesting is not a tool for change, advising the ruler is what brings change
- The ‘West’ is waiting for instability to “absorb” our (natural) resources
- If you have food on the table and a place to live, it’s forbidden to cause chaos!
Most will listen and obey.